%HTMLlat1; %HTMLsymbol; %HTMLspecial; ]> Compiling KDE 4.1
Roland van Ipen­burg
To be stolen or blogged

Com­pil­ing KDE 4.1

Wed­nes­day 13 Au­gust 2008 02:42

Since I didn't have a lot of stuff on my mind for a cou­ple of days I de­cid­ed to screw up my De­bian sys­tem some more by go­ing for a com­piled from source KDE 4.1. I've enough ex­pe­ri­ence with open source stuff to be not very op­ti­mistic about get­ting it all work­ing in the end. Be­fore you know it you are up to your waist in de­pen­den­cies and if one of them fails it's over. While I do ad­mire the com­mu­ni­ty for re­leas­ing open source pack­ages like KDE, build­ing from source shows that it's a lot eas­i­er to just buy a Mac. The main is­sue is that the cur­rent state of de­vel­op­ment means for every lit­tle piece of func­tion­al­i­ty there is a li­brary, and they all have an API, and the chance that the whole cas­cade of used li­braries col­laps­es due to one in­com­pat­i­bil­i­ty be­tween ver­sions of a li­brary is way to big. Li­braries get more spe­cial­ized, eas­i­er to main­tain due to the use of oth­er spe­cial­ized li­braries, but be­yond one li­brary de­pend­ing on an­oth­er a big project like KDE is just to vul­ner­a­ble to in­com­pat­i­bil­i­ties be­tween hun­dreds of used li­braries. In the end - af­ter a lot of tar xvzf && ./con­fig­ure && make && make in­stall - I got some­thing work­ing which looked like a nice KDE, but along the way I got a lot of er­rors that showed some li­braries lied about their de­pen­den­cies, and ob­vi­ous­ly the in­stall was nev­er test­ed on a sys­tem that start­ed from scratch. Of course we can wait for the of­fi­cial dis­trib­uted pack­ages, but how open source is that?


Book­mark this on De­li­cious

Add to Stum­bleUpon

Add to Mixx!



application away browser buy cool data days different flash game gta html ibook internet linux movie open play playstation possible run screen server side site stuff system train web windows work

Blog Posts (418)

Image Gal­leries

ipen­bug Last.fm pro­file

ipen­bug last.fm pro­file

Fol­low me on Twit­ter

Roland van Ipen­burg on face­book
Lin­ux Regis­tered User #488795
rolipe BOINC com­bined stats


Add to Google

Valid XHTML + RFDa Valid CSS! Hy­phen­at­ed XSL Pow­ered Valid RSS This site was cre­at­ed with Vim Pow­ered by Bri­co­lage! Pow­ered by Post­greSQL! Pow­ered by Apache! Pow­ered by mod­_perl! Pow­ered by Ma­son! Pow­ered by Perl Made on a Mac Pow­ered By Mac OS X XS4ALL This site has been proofed for ac­cu­ra­cy on the VISTAWEB-3000 Creative Com­mons Li­cense
This work by Roland van Ipen­burg is li­censed un­der a Creative Com­mons At­tri­bu­tion-Non­com­mer­cial-Share Alike 3.0 Un­port­ed Li­cense.
Per­mis­sions be­yond the scope of this li­cense may be avail­able at mail­to:ipen­burg@xs4all.nl.